Sunday 18 December 2011

Capri Interviews StooShe!


I had the opportunity to meet and sit with Warner’s new signing, Stooshe. Three, brightly coloured and very energetic girls from South East London who are far from your ‘ordinary’ girl group. This was my chance to find out what the controversial trio had in store for us and find out who Karis, Alex and Courtney really are.

Sitting on a very fresh white couch, the girls seemed very relaxed as they ate on some croissants while drinking a bottle of water. It was after all 11am. They greeted me with hugs and kisses as I took to my seat and got ready to kick start this interview.

Capri: Hi girls? How are you this morning?

Karis: Morning Capri. Were all good this morning actually. Not too tired. I think were used to getting up so early in the morning now.

Capri: I can see you guys are looking very awake, fresh and bright. Tell me how StooShe met?

Alex: Well me and Courtney were spotted in Top Shop and was introduced to each other by this crazy stylist who is friends with our producer. Randomly the stylist said to me “can you sing? I like the way you look”.
Courtney: I was half naked in the changing room when this woman asked me if I can sing and I didn’t really take her seriously. I was thinking why is some one asking me if I can sing in a changing room while I’m half naked. In the end I gave her my details and that was it.
Karis: I knew our producer before, from Myspace days when I used to upload clips of me singing (giggles). And the stylist called me up when I was hungover on New Years day.

Capri: Which is my birthday just so know.

StooShe: Really?
Alex: Oh my god that’s soon as well (Karis and Courtney laugh hysterically at Alex as if nobody knew were in mid December).
Karis: Yeah so the stylist asked me if I wanted to be in a girl band and I was like I don’t really know but I kind of agreed. Then I met these two and we had to learn and rehearse a song together in a day. She left us in a room where we had to choreograph a dance routine and learn this new song.
Alex: She said we had to perform together and show her what we came up with. So we were literally together for an hour at that time.

Capri: So what song did you cover?

Karis: It wasn’t a cover we did. It was a song they had already done and wanted us to do. She had this song and she had this vision for it. She just gave us the music but the song had melodies on it and everything but we had to make up the lyrics.
Alex: Our dance routine was like Motown(y). The Supremes moves so it all come naturally to all of us. Were all from South East and we all strangely enough have mutual friends in common.

Capri: So what’s the meaning behind your name, StooShe?

Alex: When we looked in the Urban Dictionary we saw that ‘Stush’ meant expensive, hidden away and stoned and a few days ago Karis found an actuall meaning for the word ‘Stooshe. Were not sure if some one put it up because of us but it supposedly means ‘causing havoc’.
Karis: I saw it on Google and it was spelt the same way we spell our name but I know it wasn’t there before when I checked online.

Capri: Do you think it’s a perfect meaning for you? Do you guys cause havoc?

Karis: In terms of the music I think we do but us three personally were just very nice girls.
Courtney: We don’t have any kind of barrier when it comes to our music to be honest and that includes with dressing and talking. Its just that were not staying in box that’s all.
Karis: And the ‘She’ in StooShe is there for female empowerment and we like the meaning of causing havoc.

Capri: I want the readers to get to you know you personally so what kind of music do you listen to? Starting with Courtney.

Courtney: I like to listen to things from back in the day like The Temptations, The Supremes. I tend to study the Dreamgirls (film starring Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy). I like that kind of era and obviously whats going on now, staying upto date with artists such as Wretch32 and Emeli Sande even Shirley Bassey. I actually want her to be my nan (laughs). Imagine Shirley Bassey and Tina Turner being your nan? I would love that.
Karis: I’m into Rap music. Heavily into rap. If you listen to my iPod that’s all I have on it. I like old skool hip hop. I love commercial hip hop, its cool but I prefer the old skool stuff. I really appreciate a good lyracists.

Capri: Who’s your favourite rapper?

Karis: I love Young Jeezy at the moment. I love his voice. I really want to marry is voice. I just want to hear him every morning when I get up.
Alex: I’m very similar to Courtney, we both grew up listening to Motown music and my mum sings and she used to sing Diana Ross. Love Salt’n’Pepa and TLC. We even did a cover of Salt’n’Pepa’s ‘Whatta Man’ but we kind of slowed it down and made it our own.

Capri: Now that we know what music you all are into, is there any one that you would like to do a track with or feature?

Karis: Any one that just likes to have fun obviously artists like Jay Z, Kanye West and Beyonce.
Alex: As long as its some one that works hard to get to where they are then we appreciate that.

Capri: There’s plenty of girl groups coming up at the moment such as Vida, Duchess, Parade and X-Factor winners Little Mix. What is it that makes you stand out from the other groups.

Courtney: All the girl bands are doing their own little thing staying in their own lane really There’s enough space for everyone to do what they love.

Capri: Do you see any of them as competition?

Karis: There’s JLS. The Wanted and 1Direction and their all different so why cant there be a mixture of girl groups? There’s room for every one.
Alex: You shouldn’t really see each other as competition but as UK standing up together and embracing each other. Were all doing the same thing, trying to achieve the same goal. No point in fighting because its just going to be messy.

Capri: ‘Betty Woz Gone’ is a very serious song lyrically. Who is Betty and inspired
you to come up with that song?

Karis: We wanted to get across real situations. In our music we talk about real life issues.
Alex: Betty is a friend of a friend. We re-named her. She’s sorted out her life now so she’s good.

Capri: A lot of the lyrics in your songs are very raw and x-rated…

Courtney: Not all of them. We have so many different genres and topics on our album. Yes we know that ‘Love Me’ and ‘Betty Woz Gone’ are very out there but that’s not just all we have.
Karis: We have supported acts who have kids turn up and we have to change certain lyrics but also we perform at clubs and those events are adults orientated so we can perform the x-rated version.

Capri: Courtney, in ‘Love Me’ you say the lyric, ‘I don’t do d**k…’. Wouldn’t you do me? (girls laugh hysterically)

Courtney: Urm, no babe I have a girlfriend. Sorry.
Karis: The way we get angry for each other when guys really try it.
Courtney: I get really annoyed when guys really try and don’t get the hint that we are not on it.
Alex: Courtney gets really angry some times its funny.
Courtney: When guys try it on Alex, I’m like ‘Yo, that’s my girlfriend’.
Karis: Its like Courtney is our pimp some times with the way she looks after us and that’s a good thing because we know she’s got our backs.

Capri: So Courtney your taken…

Courtney: I am taken.
Karis: Single not ready to mingle. Music is the love of my life.
Alex: I’m also taken.

Capri: Image is very important and StooShe are very out there with their style and look. Who inspires you guys in that department?

Karis: Our personality is our inspiration really. This is actually casual for us today. You should see us on a night out.
Courtney: We all have our individual characters for example Karis is like the pin up/burlesque type of girl, Alex is more the hip hop 90’s kind of look and I just do what ever.
Karis: We’ve all got very different looks but it works at the same.

Capri: Finally question, where do you see StooShe in 5 years time?

Courtney: Touring hopefully.
Karis: Taking over the world.
Alex: I want to see my face every where, our faces every where.
(Karis and Courtney start laughing)
Karis: Yesterday we was at the gym and we asked Alex what she would get her boyfriend for christmas and she (mimics Alex), ‘I’m thinking of starting a shrine of myself for him so I’m going to buy a t-shirt with my face on it and a pillow case with my face on it’.
Alex: Last year I got him a birthday card with my face on it.

Capri: Thank you for an entertaining interview. I hope the best in the future for you guys and I will see you in the near future.

Karis, Courtney an Alex: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment