Saturday 16 July 2011

Vida - Girlband!

I love fresh talent and new music, so when I heard the name Vida circulating in the music industry, I was very intrigued to find out who they were.

AJ, Cat, Tanisha and Cheekz collectively make Vida. As we know, it is hard to break into the music industry as a solo female artist never mind as a girl group. What do these 4 girls have that we actually haven't seen or heard of yet?

Listening to some of their covers and snippets of tracks they have posted up, they have brought nothing new or original to the table. I am by far confused as to what or who they are in terms of music and people. They say their genre is pop but from what I'm hearing from them, there's also rapping/MC'ing and now I know that is not pop.

Vocally they are pointless. It sounds like a bunch of girls that were bored and just one day decided to come together and 'sing' with no training whatsoever. Even if they could sing, why have they opted for material that does not show case their ability? Have they taken the route of the commercial road and thought it would be easier to breakthrough that way? Or are they seriously happy and confident that their music will set dents in the charts?

Maybe their delusional minds was set up by their manager who just so happens to be JLS member, Oritse. If that is the case, then why has he set up the girls to fail in a major way? Simple, Oritse is dating one of the members, AJ. Supposedly they have been together for a while now. Which makes sense. Its always said that its easier to make it to the top if you sleep with the boss. Not saying that is what their relationship is based on.

Image is very important when your a band. Vida's image is as confused as the look Zoe Slater gave us when she found out Kat was her mother in Eastenders. There is too much going on. So much so that it can give you an epileptic fit. To find that thin line between being different and just 'URGH' isn't that hard. In fact that line isn't thin at all.

I went to show support to my friend Bluey Robinson, who was headlining at Musicalize on Thursday 14th July at Cargo. I had no idea that it was my lucky evening and I was finally going to see the ladies perform live. Perfect time for them to prove me wrong but I kind of got this feeling that AJ and Cat had no idea who I was or what I do now outside my previous work, baring in mind, I've known these girls for a while during the dance scene. Before their performance, I was ear wigging on their interview where they were asked 'What makes you different from Girls Aloud?' to which they answered 'we are much prettier'. Really? Any ways, I was so excited to see them perform, I kept drinking so much water which made me go toilet quite a few times which made me nearly miss the girls performance. Vida were finally on stage and doing their thing. Their thing was just shock horror. I am a very hard critic so I waited to see the whole of their set before I made my final judgement but the crowd around me were making remarks as soon as Vida started their first track which was a cover of Dev's 'Bass Down Low'. 'WOW, what the hell is going on?' and 'I cant listen to this' was just some of the comments being murmured in the audience. Lip syncing isn't a good thing especially if you claim to be good singers.

As two of the members are from a dance background, I expected their stage presence to at least be of perfection. At one point I saw Tanisha and AJ do a routine while Cat and Cheekz just stood there during their single 'Boy In The Corner'. The term 'Hot Mess' really did come to mind at that time.

Without the celebrity manager, would Vida have a chance in this game? Can Vida honestly expect to be in the charts with a single? Will Vida last in this challenging pursuit to stardom? I don't knock any one's hustle, but if I were a Vida girl, I'd put my 'V's' down.

Here's a cover of Chris Browns 'Look At Me Now' that Vida sang on Choice Fm.

1 comment:

  1. Amy Jane ? AJ Is Being Dated By Oritse ??? Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

    ReplyDelete