Saturday 16 July 2011

Joel Culpepper - New Artist!

I always get asked to review new music or artists. So when at Laughing Boy I was introduced to this guy with big geeky glasses and facial hair that looked like it hasn't seen a razor blade in a while, I instantly thought 'OK great, what now?'. I asked them to send me an email of their work and I will see what I think of it.

When it comes to music, many artists tend to aim for a genre that would bring in the fame and status rather than doing a genre that they feel and love.

Joel Culpepper is taking his music to levels UK music hasn't touched in a very long time. From being a nursery worker to a musician that portrays emotions through beats and lyrics. Culpepper will undoubtedly make a mark in this industry. Inspired by the late J Dilla, Culpepper is determined to bring something new and heartfelt.

Listening to 'Happy Birthday' and 'I Fell' (which already is a favourite of mine), Culpepper has the sweet vocals of Omar and the lyrical flow of Andre 3000.

Whether you are a fan of this genre or not, you can not deny that Joel Culpepper has passion behind his voice. There is a following out there waiting for some one like him to soak them up. I will be looking very much forward to any gigs or new music he has coming up.

Listen and watch the official 'Happy Birthday' video at the bottom.


I am loving 'I Fell'. It reminds me of something Maxwell would do but even then I am not so sure if Maxwell can do it as good as Joel Culpepper. Take a listen to 'I Fell' and watch the video. Let me know what you guys think.

If you think thats great, his version to Cassie and Diddy's 'Must Be Love' is just amazing. Take a listen to what his called it 'Brain Damage'.

No comments:

Post a Comment